Posts Tagged ‘cooking with your kids’
There are so many different reasons why you should involve your kids in the kitchen. My number 1 reason is because I like to spend time with my kids while I am cooking and they enjoy helping. It does make more of a mess and typically takes longer, but in the end we have something we are all proud of and can’t wait to sink our teeth into.
- Cooking helps create healthy habits that last a lifetime
- Create memories. Some of my best memories of my Grandmother were of us cooking at her house
- Teach kids math skills. Even young kids can learn what a cup of milk or flour looks like
- Kids learn to follow directions
- Cultivate organization/planning skills
- Increase self esteem: Kids are proud of what they make
These are just a few of the many reasons why it is important to teach your children this important skill. By cooking things together, you are also cutting out some of the processed foods out of their diet. Just remember, start small. One of my daughter’s favorite thing to make with me is Jello pudding. All you have to do is add two cups of milk to the mix and stir it. She loves that she made it and it gives us a chance to clean up while it is setting. Instant gratification.
Enjoy. You will be amazed all the different things you can teach your kids while you are cooking together. Texture, color, taste, etc. Make learning fun!