Posts Tagged ‘poison ivy’
For Mom’s these days it’s hard to figure out what is truly fact, and what is fantasy when it comes to age old wives tales and myths regarding your health and your body over the summer. Here are 5 myths that have been fully debunked, that should make planning your vacations, meals, and playtime much easier.
1: Don’t Swim After You Eat?
This myth has officially been BUSTED. While it is true that swimming after eating can cause minor cramping in your lower extremities as blood rushes up to your tummy to help with digestion, it is not nearly severe enough to cause anyone to drown. You don’t have to wait an hour after you eat that delicious grilled chicken to join your friends at the beach anymore, and you don’t have to lock your kids in the car just to keep them out of the water once you get there! Always keep a close eye on your family while near any source of water, and protect them with the necessary applications and reapplications of sunscreen.
2: Any SPF Sunscreen Works Just Fine…
WRONG! You don’t get adequate protection from a sunscreen or sunblock unless it is at least SPF 30 . And remember that the fairer your skin, the less protection you get naturally. I am a huge fan of Neutrogena Sport lotions, particularly their Face block, because I don’t have to reapply as often as I do with other brands. I did some serious damage to my skin as an uprotected beach rat wild child, and didn’t know I was putting my self in danger of melanoma, and a wide variety of other skin issues, like redness that still bothers me to this day.
For Mamas with babies, they also have a great “Pure and Free” baby sunblock line as well. Remember that reapplication is key, no matter how high you go on the SPF scale, and that a costly 95SPF sunscreen blocks the same number of UV rays as a 30SPF.
3: Jellyfish Stings Hurt FOREVER
Also not true. While they do hurt, especially the Portuguese Man of War jellies that we get when the eastern winds start to blow in our area, jelly stings can be remedied with a simple spritz of vinegar on the affected area. I have a small spritzer bottle that I’ve filled with vinegar in my beach bag, and it helps take away the sting, and deactivates the little stingers that make the burn. After you’ve let the vinegar soak in, rinse with fresh cool water and apply ice. If there’s any evidence of a serious allergic reaction, (difficulty breathing, hives, unnatural amounts of swelling) seek medical attention immediately.
4: Browned Meat is Cooked Meat
When you’ve got a pack of hungry children gathered around the grill, salivating over the burgers that you “think” might be done, it’s hard to discern whether or not those juices from the meat are really “running clear” or if you’re just hallucinating from hunger. I am a huge fan of meat thermometers. Williams-Sonoma offers a nifty little 4 pack of “mini grilling thermometers” you can plug right into those tasty little burgers, and know for sure whether or not they are finally cooked enough to eat, by reading the internal temperature, which for beef should be no less than 160* F, as recommended by the USDA.
5: Poison Ivy Is Contagious From Person to Person
Nope! You can only get poison ivy from contact directly with the oils on the plant, and the amount of redness and affliction you get from the plant depends on how much of an allergy you have to it. Rubbing calamine lotion on a friends red itchy welts will only earn you the “Bestest Friend Ever” award, instead of poison ivy yourself. It’s my only allergy, but I consider poison ivy to be my arch-nemesis, and take very good precautions to make sure any one involved in our family’s hiking/camping trips are fully aware of what it looks like, and what to do when you encounter it on the trail. Remember also, that if you are clearing large amounts of land over the summer, that burning poison ivy turns the oils into an aerosol in the smoke, and those particularly sensitive to it can breathe it in. I spent three weeks in bed as a child, resembling strongly the Michelin Man, because of a week of burning brush from our property that contained scraps of poison ivy cuts. Like the picture at right, the leaves are yellowish-green and shiny/waxy looking, the stems are reddish, and look for groups of 3 leaves. Even doggies can get poison ivy, particularly short haired breeds!